Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Summer Packet Assignment & XtraMath Update

I hope you are all doing well getting your packets done.  I am already excited about next year!  For this assignment you are going to do some research.  The opening ceremonies for the 2012 Summer Olympics are on Friday.  Your job is to read a few sites about the Olympics and then post what you learned.  Have your family help you search for information about the 2012 Olympics.  Then, in the comment box, write 3 things you learned about the event.  To post in the box, write your message and then sign your first name.  You do not need to have an account; you can select to post anonymously.  Your answer will not appear until I release it.  I view all comments before they can be seen by others.  Have fun!

On another note, there have been some issues with XtraMath.  The classes in which the students have been enrolled ended on July 1st.  I personally am unable to reinstate those classes.  Here are two options:

Option 1:  I believe that you can make your own account and enroll your child using the name and PIN # they were originally assigned (refer to the packet or email me using my email address that I provided in the packet or find it on the school website).  I'm not exactly sure if this works because I already had a teacher account when I linked my son's account to my teacher account.  The data is stored with the XtraMath people, so you may want to contact them via email.  To contact XtraMath Help, just click the highlighted words from this sentence.  I have personally contacted them via email before and they are very prompt and extremely helpful.  You will need your child's KINDERGARTEN TEACHER'S EMAIL. For each, it is the teacher's last name and first two initials @daretolearn.org. 

Option 2:  There is another online tool for practicing math facts called AAAMath.com.  It does not store the data, but still provides online practice of math facts.  For addition, start out small with the 0, 1, 2 facts and then progress to the others when they reach a mastery of those (above 95% correct). You may use the "Practice" area or scroll down to see the 3 choices for games.  The games are more drill and practice, but add an element of fun.  If you choose this option, just initial the box where XtraMath is assigned. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malia Speedy
1.Basketball was first held in the
1936 Olympic Summer games.

2.The 2012 Olymplcs games are being heldin London Enlind.

3.My favorite is gymnastics China is the top country with 14 medals.

Anonymous said...

1. The Olympics are in London, England.

2. There are more girl athletes than boy athletes from the USA.

3.The first Olympic games were held in Greece.

Abby O'Neal